YBA Return-to-Baseball COVID-19 Guidelines
York Baseball has adopted Baseball Ontario's "Return To Baseball Protocols", as well as relevant guidelines outlined by the City of Toronto Public Health and the Ontario Government. We have added a few additional measures, in order to create as safe a playing environment as possible.
BEFORE COMING TO SMYTHE PARK
1. Before coming to the field, all participants (players, coaches, spectators, league officials) MUST self-screen themselves to limit the introduction of infection. Follow the self-assessment for COVID-19 on the Ontario Ministry of Health website.
2. All participants should be aware of signs and symptoms of COVID-19, including:
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- New loss of taste or smell
The World Health Organization advises that symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 10 to 14 days after contracting COVID-19. Those who are infected with COVID-19 may have few or no symptoms. Hence there is the possibility of asymptomatic and pre-asymptomatic spread of COVID-19.
IF YOU ARE EXHIBITING ANY AFOREMENTIONED SYMPTOMS, OR FEEL THAT YOU MAY HAVE CONTRACTED THE VIRUS, OR HAVE HAD CLOSE CONTACT WITH A CONFIRMED CASE, PLEASE DO NOT COME TO THE FIELD! PLEASE STAY HOME! ANY PARTICIPANT DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19 MUST BE CLEARED BY APPROPRIATE MEDICAL AUTHORITIES PRIOR TO ATTENDING ANY IN-PERSON BASEBALL ACTIVITY, AND PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF BEING CLEARED.
3. Pack your baseball gear, water bottle/energy drink and hand sanitizer. Leave the sunflower seeds and gum at home.
4. Please try to avoid carpooling. Wear masks in vehicles if this is unavoidable.
5. It is strongly recommended that players and parents read Baseball Ontario's "2021 Return to Sport COVID-19 Guidelines".
Players should refer to the Baseball Ontario Player Quick Reference Guide
Parents should refer to the Baseball Ontario Parents Quick Reference Guide
AT SMYTHE PARK BASEBALL FIELD
1. At the start of each practice, scrimmage or game, an official or coach will be taking attendance of ALL participants (players, coaches, spectators, league officials), for the purpose of contact tracing.
2. There will be a strict 3-person limit inside each dugout. No exceptions. Spread out and use both dugouts, or find a spot to hang your baseball bag along the fence. You may wish to bring a folding chair to sit on for personal use. Please follow the 2-metre distancing guidelines at all times.
3. Do not share your baseball gear and drink bottle with other players.
4. Cover your cough or sneeze into a tissue. Immediately throw the tissue into the garbage and clean your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or arm. Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
5. Masks are not mandatory, but please feel free to wear them while at the field and during practices, scrimmages and games. Wearing a mask is a suggested best practice consideration as outlined by Baseball Ontario.
6. York Baseball will have a supply of masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and disinfectants on site.
7. Avoid congestion at points of entry to the diamond, and in front of dugouts.
ON THE FIELD
1. If you suddenly do feel ill while at the field, tell a coach, and go home immediately.
2. The 2-metre physical distancing protocol should be adhered to as much as possible during practices, scrimmages and games.
3. No sharing baseball gear and water bottles.
4. Store all of your baseball equipment, clothing, water bottle, etc. in your equipment bag. Avoid having it spread out.
5. No touching other participants. No handshakes, hugs, fist bumps or high-fives.
6. No spitting, eating sunflower seeds and similar snack foods or chewing gum.
7. All players and coaches must sanitize their hands at the beginning of each practice, and every 30 minutes thereafter.
8. All players and coaches must sanitize their hands at the beginning of each game, and at the beginning of every half inning regardless of whether they were on the field or had an at bat.
9. Make sure hands are sanitized before drinking water or eating any food.
10. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
11. Any York Baseball equipment used, must be sanitized first before another participant can touch it.
12. Rules may be updated during the season as per guidelines from Baseball Ontario, Toronto Public Health, The Ontario Government, or York Baseball.
PARENTS & SPECTATORS
1. All spectators are required to maintain physical distancing from those outside their household, as outlined by City of Toronto Public Health.
2. It is recommended that spectators limit their numbers attending. Especially for younger siblings who tend to be active and have a harder time sitting still. This makes it harder for spectators to meet the socially distancing compliance.
3. Spectators are prohibited from approaching dugouts, and players are prohibited from approaching the bleachers.
4. Spectators are encouraged to bring their own folding chairs for personal use, in the event that the bleachers become full due to distancing. It is recommended that they bring disinfectant wipes to clean the area on the bleachers that they sit.
5. Please do not loiter at the field or in the parking lot after practices/scrimmages/games.